GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) — Week 6 of the high school football season had two epic games, some high-scoring affairs and much more.
Unbeaten Jacksonville, the No. 2 team in the Touchdown Friday Top 9 poll, knocked off previously unbeaten New Bern, the No. 1 team in our poll — 29-28. The Cardinals won the game after making a two-point conversion late in the contest. Jacksonville is now the only unbeaten team overall in the Big Carolina Conference.
East Duplin also pulled out a dramatic victory over previously unbeaten Kinston, the No. 3 team in our poll.
Most of the other teams in our latest poll picked up victories on Friday. Tarboro (No. 4), Havelock (No. 5) and Southside (No. 7) also won while Washington (No. 6) and North Lenoir (No. 8) lost. Northside-Pinetown and White Oak, tied for No. 9, were each off.
North Pitt 46, North Johnston 0
Bethel Academy wins by forfeit over Northeast Academy
Wayne Christian 58, Pungo Christian 0
Tarboro 48, Bertie County 0
West Craven 26, Washington 7
Southside 44, Swansboro 7
SouthWest Edgecombe 61, Greene Central 20
Croatan 62. East Carteret 6
J.H. Rose 42, South Central 0
Jacksonville 29, New Bern 28
Hertford County 48, Pasquotank County 0
Southwest Onslow 41, North Lenoir 20
Currituck 27, Camden County 26
Midway 33, Richlands 13
East Duplin 31, Kinston 27
First Flight 27, Manteo 8
John Paul II Catholic 18, Cary Christian 6
Farmville Central 27, Riverside 20
James Kenan 40, South Columbus 0
Jones Senior 14, East Columbus 13
Northeastern 38, John A. Holmes 13
Havelock 34, Southern Durham 2
Dixon 52, Trask 32
Parrott Academy 64, Rocky Mount Academy 42
D.H. Conley 41, Northside-Jacksonville 14
Wallace-Rose Hill 76, South Lenoir 26
South Creek at Perquimans, did not play
Columbia at Hobgood Charter, canceled
Farmville Central at Ayden-Grifton, ppd. Oct. 5
Washington County at Riverside, ppd. COVID-19
GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) — We’re into the second half of the high school football season. The first half was filled with games rescheduled, primarily due to COVID-19. Let’s see how Week 6 goes.
Already, there have been some changes to the overall schedule:
- Bear Grass Charter is still in quarantine and won’t play again until Oct. 1 at home against Chatham County. No make-up date has been announced for the Jones Senior game postponed due to COVID-19.
- Farmville Central’s game at Ayden-Grifton has been moved to Oct. 5 at 6:30 p.m. due to COVID-19 with the Chargers. Riverside’s game with Washington County was also postponed due to COVID-19. So Farmville will travel to Riverside this Friday for a 7 p.m. game.
- Monday night, Ayden-Grifton tweeted out its West Craven home game, which was postponed last Friday due to COVID-19, will be played Sept. 28 at 6:30 p.m.
- With Rosewood still under coronavirus protocols, Southside will now host Swansboro on Friday.
- Bethel Academy has received a forfeit from Northeast Academy, meaning Bethel gets the win without playing.
Below is the latest schedule. It is subject to change due to COVID-19 and the chance for rainy weather later this week. Be sure to call ahead to your school to make sure they are playing.