CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) – Javonte Williams ran for three fourth-quarter touchdowns and No. 18 North Carolina overcame a mistake-filled performance to beat Syracuse 31-6 on Saturday in the season opener for both teams.
Michael Carter added 138 yards of total offense for the Tar Heels, who won in an empty home stadium after the school opted to open with no fans in attendance due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Williams’ three touchdown runs in the fourth quarter helped UNC blow the game open after leading just 10-6 entering the fourth.
Tommy DeVito threw for 112 yards but took seven sacks for the Orange, who had 202 total yards.
- Atlantic storms create rough waters on the Crystal Coast
- Jacksonville Christmas parade cancelled because of pandemic
- Arendell Parrott Academy Looks to Avenge State Championship Loss in 2020
- Native American ancestral remains, artifacts returned to U.S. soil
- Winston Groom, ‘Forrest Gump’ author, Point Clear native dies