MOORESVILLE, N.C. (WNCN) – Sen. Thom Tillis (R) declared victory over Cal Cunningham (D) Tuesday night as votes continued to be counted in North Carolina.
“What we accomplished tonight was a stunning victory,” Tillis said.
The incumbent senator said he was waiting to hear from Cunningham before speaking to his supporters but decided he needed to address the race.
Tillis said his victory came against all the odds. Polls had the senator down against Cunningham but the race was shaken by news of infidelity by Cunningham.
Cunningham was scheduled to speak at Democratic Party Headquarters in Raleigh but around midnight, it was announced he would not deliver any remarks.
- Biden administration cancels expansion of biometric requirements for those seeking citizenship
- Asylum cases transferred out of MPP and allowed into U.S. doubled in the past month, new data shows
- Guardsman finds gym bag filled with guns near Texas-Mexico border
- Wood Ducks stay unbeaten, win at home in first contest in 612 days
- Kinston business owners react to return of Down East Wood Ducks